City health officials said 101 of the 110 COVID-19-related fatalities in Puerto Princesa between June and August this year were unvaccinated individuals, while nine got their first doses.
They said Thursday morning in a live radio briefing that they have yet to record deaths among fully-vaccinated patients.
According to city Incident Management Team (IMT) chief Dr. Dean Palanca, based on their data, COVID-19 was seen to be most fatal to unvaccinated individuals.
“[Mga] 92% ng ating namatay noong June to August ay walang bakuna. Ibig sabihin, wala siyang kalaban-laban sa COVID-19. At meron naman tayong nine na namatay na first dose lang. Ibig sabihin, mayroon lang siyang around 30-35 per cent protection sa COVID-19. Until now, wala pa rin tayong namamatay na fully-vaccinated,” Palanca said.
“Mula rin June hanggang August, mula sa 110 na namatay, 92 doon ay nasa 50 years old pataas. Pinapakita lang namin kung bakit importante na magpabakuna na tayo, lalo na ‘pag may edad. As we grow older, kung hindi tayo fully-vaccinated, napaka-delikado,” he added.
The data presented also showed that the nine deceased patients who only received their first doses were aged 51, 57, 65, 70, 75, 79, 81, and 88.
It also showed that as of August 17, Puerto Princesa recorded a total of 207 deaths. The top two months with the highest number of deaths were June (86) and May (55), Palanca said.
Numbers were seen to have shot up in March, where 16 deaths were reported. In the next months, 34 deaths were reported in July and 15 so far in August. Out of the 207 deaths, 153 were RT-PCR positive, 52 were antigen-positive, while two were labeled as suspect cases, according to the data.
As of Wednesday, according to the City Information Office, Puerto Princesa has a total of 126 active COVID-19 cases.