The Puerto Princesa City Water District (PPCWD) has officially placed the city under Water Crisis Alert Level 3 due to drastic decline in water supply.
The declaration was announced after the water firm’s contingency committee met on Wednesday.
In its public advisory posted on its Facebook page, the PPCWD cited the “drastic decline of water supply in the main water source in Campo Uno dam in Barangay Irawan.
The overall water supply is expected to decrease further because of insufficient rainfall.
“PPCWD will have to implement several contingency/ mitigating measures to address the water shortage in the elevated parts of the city, this include tapping of private water sources through Memorandum of Agreement, and the implementation of water rationing,” the post said.
From the Campo Uno’s average production capacity of 700-750 cubic meters per hour, it declined to 112 cubic meters per hour as of April 10, recorded at 8:00 in the morning.
The PPCWD is optimistic that consumers will cooperate in dealing with the current water crisis situation.
The water district will start implementing a water rationing system to address the water shortage in majority of the 66 barangays in the city effective on Friday, April 12 at 2:00 in the morning.
The schedule and areas of affected consumers are enlisted below:
A. Lower Areas (With Water from 2:00 pm to 12:00 midnight)
- Along PSU Road;
- Along Col. Zabala, Col. Mayo, Major Escano Street and Compound Road, Barangay Tiniguiban;
- Whole Barangay. San Pedro;
- Along Wescom Road, Part of Wescom Compound, Filinvest, Westville, Ellenview, and Lucero Subdivision;
- Whole Barangay Mandaragat;
- Barangay Mabuhay, Pagkakaisa, Bagong-Silang, along Reynoso St., and B. Mendoza St., Barangay Masigla
- Whole area of Barangay Pag-asa;
- Whole area of Barangay Sicsican;
- Whole area of Barangay Tagburos;
- Whole area of Barangay San Jose;
- Whole area of Barangay Irawan;
- Whole area of Barangay Sta. Lourdes
B. Elevated Areas (With Water from 2:00 am to 12:00 pm)
- Barangay San Miguel along Rizal Avenue, Rizal Avenue Extension, Junction 1, and along Baltan Street;
- Elevated areas along Rizal Rizal Avenue and Rizal Avenue Extension;
- Barangay Maningning, Manggahan, Model, Masikap, Magkakaibigan, Masipag, Maunlad, Bagong Sikat, Tanglaw, Milagrosa, and Bancao-Bancao
C. With Water from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Barangay Sta. Monica, Employees Village, WPU- Sta. Monica, City Hall, Bliss Village, Purok Sandiwa
“This water rationing schedule will be strictly observed and implemented, thus, we urge consumers to prepare for its implementation, please make sure to have enough storage containers to be used for storing water,” the PPCWD post also said.
In a text message sent by PPCWD acting information officer Jenn Rausa, she said the two private wells from the barangays of Irawan and Tagburos can provide the additional water supply.
They will also coordinate with private well owners as part of their contingency measures.
PPCWD has advised public to relate their concerns about no water incidents, low pressure, or leak reports on their Facebook page and contact numbers.