Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm inmates Alvin Villanueva (left ) and Arnel Padillo (right) who escaped on May 28, 2019, using a rope to cross the perimeter fence from the 2nd floor of a building in the maximum security compound.

One of the two inmates who escaped from the Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm (IPPF) on Tuesday has been rearrested.

Authorities arrested the inmate Alvin Villanueva in Barangay Luzviminda on Wednesday. His companion, identified as Arnel Padillo, is still reportedly at large.

A source from the penal farm who declined to be named as he is unauthorized to speak regarding the matter said Villanueva and Padillo escaped from the second floor of the maximum security building using a rope to clear the perimeter fence of the compound.

He said Villanueva was nabbed around 11 p.m. on March 29 in a joint effort launched by the Iwahig management, the military, the city police, and officials of nearby barangays.

The source said Villanueva was cornered by authorities after receiving a tip from a sari-sari store owner in Brgy. Luzviminda where he had asked for a drink of water.

“Kaya nahuli dahil sa sumbong ng isang tindahan sa Brgy. Luzviminda. Nakiinom daw kasi ng tubig doon kaya namukhaan siya ng tindera at napansin din na punit-punit na ang damit,” the source said.

Cj Lladonet, a resident of Luzviminda who witnessed Villanueva being rearrested said he was discovered hiding in the shrubs by police and jail operatives.

“Nakita lang po namin siya dito nakadapa. Pinuntahan namin kasi may putok ng baril na apat na beses. Noong lumapit kami, pinaalis kami agad kasi sabi may isa pa raw na tumakas na pumasok dito sa loob. ‘Yon lang ang sabi,” Lladonet said.

Gathered information from various sources by Palawan News revealed it was already Villanueva’s second time to flee from the IPPF. The first was in 2014 after he was committed to the penal farm in 1999 for murder.

He was a resident of Brgy. Subusup, Rosario, La Union.

On the other hand, Padillo who was a native of Sitio Agnawi, Brgy. Agsungot, Cebu City, is serving a sentence for homicide.

He was rearrested in 2015 after escaping from Iwahig for the first time.


Previous articleNFA laments farmers selling only to private rice traders
Next article“The merry month of May”