Nine sports officials from Zamboanga City were treated for food poisoning after dining in a restaurant at the baywalk in Puerto Princesa.
City Health Office (CHO) chief Dr. Ricardo Panganiban said two of them were confined at the Adventist Hospital Palawan (AHP) after showing symptoms of food poisoning, but they have already checked out earlier this week and are recovering.
Panganiban said the incident happened on August 22 when they had dinner in a restaurant at the baywalk.
He said the incident was only reported to them on August 24, two days after the sports officials complained of stomach ache.
“Noong August 22 kumain ‘yong siyam na opisyal ng Zamboanga sa baywalk, then kinabukasan nakaramdam na sila ng hindi maganda, sumasakit ang tiyan hanggang sa ‘yong dalawa na-confine na sa Adventist. Kasi sila ang malala kumpara doon sa pito. Ngayon awa ng Diyos ay maayos na ang kalagayan nila,” he said.
Panganiban said the city government has already issued the establishment a “temporary closure order” on Tuesday while conducting further investigation.
He said their initial investigation disclosed that the patients suffered poisoning from what appears to be contaminated food.
Panganiban said food poisoning is usually caused by contamination, infectious organisms such as bacteria, viruses and parasites or other toxins.
“Pinasara muna sila habang hindi pa tapos ang investigation natin. May mga ganoon talagang pagkakataon na hindi natin gustong mangyari, for sure ang may-ari ng kainan ay hindi rin gusto ang nangyari. Nagkataon lang talaga siguro na sila ang nasaktuhan ng pangyayari kasi ako personally kumakain ako doon at wala naman nangyari. Malamang sa storage, pagluto, at sa proseso nila nanggaling ‘yong poison,” he said.
Panganiban said there is no update if the food poisoning victims are filing a formal complaint against the unnamed restaurant.