Some 20 households in Barangay 6, Coron, experienced more than an hour-long blackout after a snake entangled itself in an electric line.
BISELCO manager Ruth Fortes noted that it was challenging at first for personnel to locate the cause of the blackout.
“Medyo nahirapan lang kami sa paghahanap ng sanhi kasi ng maliit lang naman ang ahas,” said Fortes.
After a thorough search in the area for the cause of the blackout, a small snake was found entangled in one of the power lines. The snake was already dead due to electrocution. Power was restored in the area at around 5:30 p.m.
In late May, a pair of starlings and a dog-faced bat caused blackouts in barangays Tagumpay and San Nicolas and Malawig, respectively. BISELCO attributes the frequency of wildlife-caused blackouts to thin insulation material used for power lines.
“Ang short-term solution pa lang ay lalagyan ng mga PVC pipes pantakip sa mga wirings para hindi exposed sa wildlife. Pero ang long-term solution dito ay dapat papalitan ang insulation ng mga wires at taasan pa sila. Naka-program naman iyon, pero sa ngayon inaantay pa rin naming ang approval ng ERC (Energy Regulatory Commission),” said Fortes.