The city government has issued an advisory telling residents of Puerto Princesa to refrain from gathering, selling, and consuming all types of shellfish from Honda Bay due to red tide.
The city-wide advisory was issued on June 10 by Puerto Princesa administrator Atty. Arnel Pedrosa.
The local red tide warning said samples taken from Honda Bay were found to be positive for the Pyrodinium Bahamanse var. compressum, an organism that causes the collective term “red tide.”
The phenomenon is responsible for paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP), which can be fatal to human beings.
The advisory further warned the public from gathering, selling, and eating all types of shellfish and shrimp, particularly of the Acetes variety. The shrimp species are known for making “alamang,” or shrimp paste, a staple of Filipino cuisine.
Consuming “alamang” at the present moment is highly discouraged to avoid shellfish poisoning.
Fish, squid, and crab are still safe for human consumption, as long these are thoroughly cleaned and internal organs are removed before cooking.