The Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) leaders in Puerto Princesa condemned “terrorist” recruitment during their three-day youth leadership summit held at the headquarters of the Western Command (WESCOM).
Earlier in October, Puerto Princesa City SK Federation president Myka Mabelle Magbanua had already condemned the New People’s Army (NPA) after different discussions with the military and former rebels.
“Yes, we strongly condemn the recruitment of these terrorist groups. Hindi natin papayagan na gamitin ang ating mga kabataan para sa gawain ng mga maka-kaliwang grupo,” she said.
Magbanua said all SK leaders in the city are united in condemning the deception and infiltration of the rebels among the youth.
It can also be recalled that Magbanua said she has no knowledge that the organizations where she is a member have links with the NPA such as the National Union of Students in the Philippines (NUSP).
“Ngayon ko nga lang narinig ‘yong mga ganito [na may connection ang ibang organizations sa NPA], personally hindi ko alam na may gano’n na pala. Pero sa amin [sa organization], we purely have activities and meetings na dapat, aside from that ay wala na,” she said.
Magbanua said that the summit was an eye-opener for them as they realized its significance and the importance of being aware of the current situation.
In addition, participants also expressed their full support to peace and development efforts in the city and in the province by their respective End the Local Communist Armed Conflict (ELCAC) task forces.
“We are going to go to our communities and realize our dream not only for our respective barangays; not only for the city of Puerto Princesa, but the whole Philippines and the whole world — we can realize those dreams. At sana ay gawin natin ‘yan gamit ang mga natutunan nating values sa summit na ito,” Magbanua said.
The summit was held on November 7 to 10 facilitated by the Pinag-Isang Lakas ng Kabataang Lider ng Palawan (PIGLAS-Palawan).