The provincial government said it will continue its feeding program Kusina sa Barangay until May 30 to address the food needs of indigent families in selected barangays throughout the province whose livelihood is affected by the extended quarantine period.
The program is a collaboration between the provincial government, the Pilipinas Shell Foundation Inc (PSFI) and the local barangays enrolled in the program.
Under the Kusina sa Barangay, the provincial government and PSFI provide the rice, meat, fish, and vegetables while the barangay cooks the food and distributes them to identified beneficiaries.
Association of Barangay Chairman (ABC) President and Ex-Officio Board Member Ferdinand Zaballa said Wednesday that there are around 157 barangays which are covered by the program.
“Ang provincial government ay bigas lang ang sagot then ang PSFI naman sa pang-ulam. Ang barangay ang magluluto nito at ihahatid ito sa bawat bahay na kanilang nasasakupan. Gagawin ito for the period of 60 days. Ito ay base sa recommendation ng nutrition officer,” Zaballa said.
He said that this program aims to provide nutritious food to the vulnerable sector such as children, senior citizens and pregnant women where the income of the residents is limited.
He said that the program will be until May 30 but will ask the provincial government to extend or to formulate related programs.
“Ang barangay po nakahanda, so far we are good until May 30, however, beyond that ay makikipag-ugnayan ulit tayo kung anong gagawain o anong panibagong paaran ang gagawin natin. Nakita natin ang participation ng mga barangay to really address the hunger problem sa mga barangays brought by pandemic,” he said.
Board Member Eduardo Modesto Rodriguez also said that Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez will possibly provide funding for the long-term implementation of the program.
“Siguro naman ang ating gobernor ay popondohan ito. Lalo na ang Palawan ay mataas ang kaso ng malnutrion,” he said.