With most of us homebound these days, it’s the best time to start good health habits by preparing nutritious meals for the family and creating a wellness-based lifestyle whose benefits we will enjoy beyond the quarantine. It’s also the best time to rediscover the simple joys life and of doing things together.
SM Home, the one-stop-shop for all of your home essentials, shares with us some healthy home-works from the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization in maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
1. Prepare a Weekly Meal Plan and make a shopping list of items you need before you go to the store for your routine shopping. Create the list from the meal plan and include back up ingredients on your list in case your first choice is out of stock. Limit the list on buying the essentials.
2. Stock up on nutrition-packed food such as whole grains, bread, and fresh fruits and vegetables; and staples like sauces, milk, eggs, spices, and condiments. Fresh products should be consumed first. Frozen fruits and vegetables, as well as canned vegetables and fruits, are good alternatives as these have a longer shelf life.
3. Build up a stock of healthy snacks for your children – yogurt, nuts, cheese, chopped or dried fruits, boiled eggs, and more. Stock them up in a stackable glass container to seal freshness and label them.
4. Continue to practice Food Hygiene and Safety. Wash fruits and vegetables under running water and dry it with vegetable spinner; use separate chopping boards for meat and seafood as you prepare the meal, and don’t forget to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds before and after preparing your meal.
5. Drink water regularly and stay hydrated by drinking 6-8 glasses a day to boost your immune system.
6. Make cooking and eating together a family habit. Kids can help wash and sort the ingredients and set the table before the meal.
This creates a healthy routine and fun bonding with the whole family. Also, practice mindful eating and stay away from processed food.
Enjoy healthy home-works and memorable meals together with home essentials from SM Home. These are available at the http://SM Home and shoppers can now place their order online through the http://thesmtore.com and ShopSM app. For more info and updates, follow them at SM Home at the SM Store on Instagram or visit http://thesmstore.com website.