Independent mayoral candidate Gerandy Danao of Narra denied that he was disqualified by the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) for using an old certificate of candidacy (COC) form.
Danao told Palawan News that his name was included in the list of nuisance candidates but was immediately cleared after he presented necessary documents during the hearing in Manila.
“Maraming kinaso sa akin. Kasama ang nuisance candidate, pusher, illegal logger pati ‘yang old form sa COMELEC. Basta ang alam ko ngayon wala na akong problema d’yan,” he said.
Danao is going up against incumbent Narra mayor Lucena Demaala.
In a copy of the minutes of the regular en banc meeting of the electoral body last March 6, 25 candidates who used the old COC form were considered disqualified.
The order by COMELEC Chairman Sheriff Abas and all six commissioners, states that of the 25 who were disqualified 18 accomplished the required table of case details at the portal portion including Danao.
Seven other candidates “was deemed not filed for not conforming to resolutions stated and should not be voted, according to COMELEC.”
“The 18 COCs may be deemed substantially compliant with Comelec resolution 10420 as amended by resolution 10430 shall be valid and deemed filed,” the Comelec said.
He blamed Demaala for spreading false information.
“Siya lang naman ‘yan. Kung ano-ano ang pinapakalat nya hindi naman totoo. Basta ang alam ko maayos ang mga ginagawa ko,” he added.
In reaction, Demaala said the report of the disqualification of Danao is true.
“Disqualified naman talaga sya. Hindi gawa-gawa lahat ng sinasabi ko tungkol sa kanya kasi totoo naman. Antayin nalang natin kung ano ang gagawin ng COMELEC,” the mayor said.
However, the names of the aspirants were already included in the official ballot and certified list of candidates for the national and local 2019 elections.
The Candidates Profile System (CPS) had already been finalized relative to the configuration of the Automated Election System in relation to the preparation and printing of the official ballots.
At this time, their names can no longer be deleted in the official ballot.
Jomel Ordas, the spokesperson of the provincial COMELEC office, said Wednesday that they still had not yet received a copy of the order.
Ordas clarified that the prescribed form of COC was already posted online and it is a responsibility of the candidate to follow the guidelines.
“Sa ngayon ay wala pa kaming natatanggap na kopya [ng order] from main office. Pero kapag natanggap namin ‘yan as soon as possible, kung anong nakalagay doon agad naman iimplement ‘yan. Hindi namin matukoy kung paanong ibang form ang nafill-up niya. Posted naman ‘yan sa website namin pero ikaw kasi mismo na kandidato dapat alam mo ang pwede at hindi pwede,” he said.