The National Police Commission (Napolcom) is set to conduct a parallel investigation from that of the regional Philippine National Police (PNP) office on the case of relieved city police chief Col. Marion Balonglong.
Lawyer Denise Pampo, the provincial head of the National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM), said they have received an order from their regional office to validate reports on the case, once they receive any formal complaint.
“Ang instruction ng aming regional director, Atty. Owen De Luna, ay mag-conduct ng validation sa lahat ng lumabas na reports and mag-conduct ng hiwalay na investigation sa nangyari. As of last week, wala pa kaming kahit ano mang complaints na nare-receive,” Pampo said.
Balonglong was relieved of his post on Friday through an order issued by PNP chief General Archie Gamboa over the alleged “maltreatment” of personnel from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
Balonglong was being accused to have repeatedly kicked and punched at gunpoint one of the forest rangers, Roldan Alvarez, whom he accused of stealing galvanized iron sheets.
Ten DENR officers and other government officials were allegedly illegally arrested and detained by the police officers led by Balonglong himself on June 10.
DENR Secretary Roy Cimatu earlier vowed to file charges against Balonglong.
P/Col. Sergio Vivar Jr., who replaced Balonglong as Puerto Princesa City police chief, vowed to conduct an “internal cleansing” within the city police force.
Vivar on Monday warned law enforcers who would be involved on the similar incident of alleged police brutality and maltreatment would be met with charges.
“I-implement natin ‘yong internal cleansing. Pa-filelan natin sila [mga miyembro ng PNP] ng kaso kung mai-involve sila sa similar incident,” Vivar said.
On Monday, the City Council approved a resolution declaring Balonglong “persona non grata.” Officials, however, said they will no longer file a formal complaint against Balonglong.
Meanwhile, Alex Hermoso, program manager of the Anti-Squatting Program (ASP), said that the Council Against Squatting Syndicate and Professional Squatting (CASSPS) has ordered the demolition of structures in Sitio Bucana, Barangay Matahimik, which has started Monday morning.
“‘Yong classification ng area ay timberland, kinakailangan open space lang ito, at walang sinumang pwedeng manirahan,” Hermoso said.