The number of known confirmed COVID-19 cases in the MIMAROPA region rose to 126, after one active case each for Palawan and Occidental Mindoro were reported Friday morning.
Cuyo town mayor Mark Delos Reyes, in a phone interview with Palawan News on Friday morning, said that the additional case is the 26-year-old mother of the previously reported one-year and nine-month-old COVID-19 positive patient, marking the 3rd recorded infection in this island municipality.
“‘Yong confirmed ngayon na isa ‘yong nanay ng bata na 1 year old and 9 months. Dumating sila ng June 24 dito sa Cuyo. Expected na namin ‘yan talaga yang nanay ng batang nagpositive,” Delos Reyes said.
Delos Reyes added that 20 swab samples were sent to the Ospital Ng Palawan (ONP) in Puerto Princesa City, but only an initial report for the confirmatory tests was returned so far.
In Occidental Mindoro, the provincial government, in an official advisory issued on Facebook, said that the 46th confirmed COVID-19 case is a 40-year-old female from Abra de Ilog town.
The female patient was a close contact of Occidental Mindoro’s 44th confirmed case.
As of Friday noon (July 10), the Palawan province leads the COVID-19 tally with 48 known cases, followed by Occidental Mindoro with 46. Oriental Mindoro’s running total is at 23, while Marinduque has six, and Romblon with three confirmed COVID-19 cases.
(With reports from Ruth Rodriguez and Jane Tumalac)