In a petition filed on May 23, 2016 before the Commission on Elections, Incumbent Third Congressional District Representative Douglas Hagedorn officially called for the annulment of opponent Gil Acosta’s proclamation as winning candidate for the Third District’s congressional post, citing alleged violations of the law. He also sought the official declaration of a failure of elections in the 3rd District.
In the eight-page petition filed by Hagedorn, he charged Acosta of massive vote buying (ranging from P500-1500), terrorism and blatant disrespect of the electoral process. Hagedorn also castigated the Board of Canvassers (BOC) for Puerto Princesa, Aborlan and the Province for manually transmitting election returns. According to him, the proclamation of Acosta is prohibited by law and constitutes criminal and administrative offenses.
It can be recalled that prior to the proclamation of winning candidates in Puerto Princesa, Hagedorn filed a petition for the suspension of the proceedings, which was denied by the City’s BOC. Hagedorn claims, however, that he has not yet received any written denial of his petition for suspension.
Meanwhile, respondent Acosta, who was proclaimed as winning candidate for the 3rd congressional district last May 13, 2016, refused to issue an official comment on the matter.
“No comment muna. Kasi although naririnig ko na, pero wala pa akong natatanggap na notice from Comelec,” he said via phone interview.
Atty. Percival Mendoza, Acting Provincial Election Supervisor and Chairman of the provincial BOC, said that they already received sometime last week a copy of Hagedorn’s latest petition. They were given 15 days to reply upon receipt.
He said in an interview with Palawan News that they (PBOC) will not “respond” anymore and will just let their higher-ups in the Commission decide on the merit of the said petition.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © Copyright 2018 - Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion. All rights reserved.