The local Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) called on all gasoline stations in Puerto Princesa City on Wednesday to strictly follow safety procedures to prevent fire accidents.
The call came after the second incident of a fire breaking out in a gas station was recorded on the evening of October 9.
Fire Officer 2 Mark Rabajante said gasoline station personnel must carefully observe the standard operating procedures they were trained to do.
Rabajante said the BFP requires all the staff and personnel of all gasoline station to conduct a yearly fire safety seminar before they are issued Fire Safety Inspection Certificates (FSIC) needed in their business permit renewals.
“Meron po ‘yang SOP sa tendering. Sa Bureau of Fire Protection, kapag sila ay a-attend dito ng seminar, ang dini-discuss natin dyan ay ang safety in general. Ibig sabihin sa ganyang klase ng establishment, ano ba ang pagmumulan ng apoy, chemistry of fire, stages, and development” he pointed out.
The second gasoline fire incident on Tuesday happened around 8:30 p.m. after a Caltex gasoline personnel in Barangay San Manuel left unattended the nozzle of the fuel dispenser inside a vehicle’s gas tank.
The driver of the vehicle who had no idea that the nozzle was still lodged in the tank, drove away pulling the hose and breaking the fuel dispenser which immediately ignited and caused the fire.
Luckily, the fire was put out minutes after by the security guards and gasoline station personnel.
“For this year, dalawang incident na sa atin sa gasoline station. Iyong isa, mga January, ay diyan sa San Jose, ‘yong Shell pa-exit ng bayan, malapit doon [sa] palabas na ng Puerto. Ang nangyari naman doon, nag-contact ang nozzle doon sa bunganga ng tangke ng motor, nagkaroon ng spark, siguro mabigat ‘yong pagkakabagsak ng nozzle, nagkiskisan ‘yong dalawang bakal may fumes, nag-apoy,” Rabajante said.
He said that during the whole refueling process, the engine must remain turned-off, in order not to expose the fumes being emitted to heat that may cause sudden ignition.
Even cellular phones must be switched-off while fuelling to prevent radiation that may trigger spark by imparting enough amount of energy to ignite fumes directly, he said.
Rabajante also said the public may contact the City Bureau of Fire Protection for alike fire emergency incidents using the following numbers: 433-0012; 434-2076; 0977-855-1600, and 0925-707-7710.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © Copyright 2018 - Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion. All rights reserved.