A poorly designed pizza brick oven of the plush Princesa Garden Island Resort and Spa in Barangay Bancao Bancao triggered a fire alarm and panic among its staff after it caught fire Friday.
A fire officer who responded to the scene on an emergency call said the hotel’s staff managed to put out the fire using fire extinguishers before they arrived.
An initial investigation conducted by authorities indicated that the oven’s exhaust blower inside the restaurant’s kitchen had accumulated so much grease and animal fat because of poor maintenance and faulty design, causing it to collapse and burn.
Senior Fire Officer 2 Mark Rotse Rabajante of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) observed that the exhaust blower that functions as a conduit of hot air and fumes was poorly designed such that it easily accumulated dirt over continued use.
“Yong design kasi ng kanilang exhaust sa pugon ay straight na medyo lumiko siya. Lahat ng mga greases and fats na naipon ay maaaring cause [ng sunog] kasi hindi siguro siya regular na nami-maintain. Yon ang tinitignan natin na cause,” he said.
He pointed out that grease and oil residue build-up “is a significant risk of fire since they become a fuel source that can trigger it.”
Rabajante said the fire did not cause any major damage to the restaurant.
He warned restaurant operators to install exhaust fan grease catchers to prevent fire.