President Rodrigo Duterte assured Palaweños on Thursday night that there will be fewer power outages in the province in the future as soon as the Department of Energy (DOE) and a Chinese power corporation have completed the study it will conduct on the power transmission and distribution of the Palawan Electric Cooperative (PALECO).
Duterte stated this during the campaign rally of the administration’s Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-LABAN) at the City Coliseum.
“We have Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi I purposely asked him to be with us tonight so that if you have any question or issue to talk about regarding sa energy, he has the answer. I believe that the last time I was here I promised you that there will be an improvement,” said Duterte.
Duterte said before 2019 ends, there will be reduced rotation in the number of hours without electricity in Puerto Princesa City and the province of Palawan.
“I assure you that before the end of the year, there is [going to be] reduced rotation in the number of hours and maybe lessening of the inconvenience – tinatapos lang po nila, andito siya just to be here maybe to explain if he wants to… na ang Shanghai Electric will be completing its studies and hopefully by the end of the year,” he said.
The DOE with Shanghai Electric Power Construction Co., Ltd. (SEPC), he said, is conducting a study on how to improve the power situation in the province which is expected to be completed before the end of this year.
Based on available information online, the SEPC is a subsidiary of the Power Construction Corporation of China (POWERCORP CHINA) that was established in China to be a large power construction enterprise involved in the construction of big power station, transmission, and distribution projects.
Previously, Duterte threatened to expropriate the PALECO by the end of the same year if it could not resolve immediately the frequent power interruptions in the city and the whole province.
“I will expropriate your franchise. Bilhin ko ‘yan at a valuation that is fair – just compensation. Kung ganoon [lagi] dito… to end this impasse, i-expropriate ko ‘yang cooperative then ipabigay ko sa mag-o-operate na bago. Gusto ninyo?” he said last year.
Meanwhile, Duterte also said he is “pissed off to no end” over how slow the Philippine government moves.
Graft and corruption were already lodged so deep in the government system, he said.
“I must admit that one of the reasons why I am pissed off to no end is really the way government moves – napakatagal ho talaga at minsan [kaya] napakatagal because they purposely do it to commit graft and sometimes it is really a circuitous thing, a very tedious process of getting the papers to the grid. There is always a monkey wrench,” Duterte pointed out.
Duterte said he needs a “faster bureaucracy” to help him act upon the things he needs to accomplish in order to give solutions to the country’s problems before he exits from office in 2022.
My commitment revolves around “controlling corruption in the government, dealing with the drug problem besetting the country, reducing up to totally eradicating criminality, and improving the relationship with other countries,” he said.
Duterte said he is now trying to double time fulfilling the promises he made to the Filipinos now that he only has three years left before the end of his presidency, the last half of his term.
“I would need a faster Cabinet, a faster bureaucracy because I am a man in a hurry. I have about three years more or less, few months left, and there are things which I believe I must act on para ‘maitupad ko ninyo’ (‘para matupad ko sa inyo’ as translated in Filipino from Visayan) ‘yong promise ko,” Duterte said.