Sep 29, 2020

Don’t leave cooking food unattended, BFP says

The home of Campus Ville resident Domingo Ponce de Leon which was gutted by the fire on January 24, 2019. (Photo courtesy of Bandera)

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) in the city reminded residents recently not to leave their cooking food unattended because they can cause home fires and damages to properties.

Fire Officer 2 Mark Anthony Llacuna, assistant information officer of the BFP in Puerto Princesa City, made the reminder Friday following a fire that happened in Campus Ville, Barangay San Jose on January 24 due to a resident that forgot what she was cooking.

“Hangga’t maari huwag iiwanan ang niluluto. Bantayan lalo na kung kahoy ang gamit na panluto o kahit LPG pa (As much as possible, they should not leave them unattended. They should watch over them, especially if they are using wood for cooking),” he said.

Llacuna said the fire that happened in Campus Ville gutted two houses, one of which was owned by Domingo Ponce de Leon.

The cost of damage was estimated to be around P1 million.

He said it started in the boarding house of Ponce de Leon that was made of light materials after his niece Marge Lopez left the wood stove where she was boiling water unattended.

The fire quickly spread to the second floor of the house at around 6:30 p.m. He said the BFP received the report 20 minutes later and immediately responded to the area.

The fire lasted for almost an hour and was declared fire out at around 8 p.m.

“Wala namang major injuries (There were no major injuries),” said Llacuna. (with reports from Ed Agarap)

Share your vote!


How do you feel about this post?
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry