Sep 22, 2020

DOLE to assist families of Palaweños who lost lives in Taiwan bridge tragedy

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Wednesday that the labor office will provide assistance to the families of the two fishermen who died after an arch bridge in Nanfang’ao eastern Taiwan collapsed and fell on their fishing vessels on October 1.

The collapsed Nanfang'ao Bridge in Taiwan (Photo By 國防部軍事新聞通訊社)

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Wednesday that the labor office will provide assistance to the families of the two fishermen who died after an arch bridge in Nanfang’ao eastern Taiwan collapsed and fell on their fishing vessels on October 1.

The two fatalities that the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) identified, Andree Serencio and George Impang, were said to be aboard one of the fishing vessels that were crushed when the bridge collapsed.

Impang was said to be a resident of Taytay.

DOLE claimed the third Pinoy who was among the other missing fishermen, Romulo Escalicas Jr., had already been located.

His body was found at 11:28 a.m. on October 3. Escaliscas was said to be a resident of Agutaya, northern Palawan.

“All possible assistance will be extended to the family of those killed in the incident. Death and other benefits will also be provided,” Bello said in a statement to the state-run Philippine News Agency (PNA) on October 2.

Bello said also that “scholarship benefits will be extended to the victims’ children”.

The other injured fishermen during the tragedy were identified by the state-run news agency as Julio Gimawa, Jason Villaruel, Allan Alcansano, John Royo, and June Flores.

The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) is now reportedly facilitating the transport of the remains of Serencio and Impang to their families in the country.

“Officials at the POLO visited the victims at the hospital and provided their immediate needs and personal requirements,” the DOLE said to PNA also in a statement.

Share your vote!


How do you feel about this post?
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry