Sep 21, 2020

COMELEC to launch 2nd wave of Oplan Baklas

(File photo)

The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) in Puerto Princesa  City is set to launch the second wave of the “Operation Baklas” against illegal campaign materials next week.

Ferdinand Bermejo, acting city election officer, told Palawan News that they decided to postpone this week’s operation because the trucks of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) are not available.

“Hindi available ang DPWH, walang mga trucks. Napalabas na naka-deploy na ang mga trucks nila kasi may mga constructions din sila. Siguro hindi sila agad naabisuhan, kasi bigla lang binaba ‘yong memorandum ng PNP MIMAROPA regional office na may dumating na magkakaroon sana ng nationwide baklas kahapon… simultaneous,” said Bermejo.

During the first wave of their operation on February 26, Bermejo said he saw many violations of the presecribed sizes and locations of the campaign materials they seized.

“Maraming nag-vi-violate talaga. Kasi ang ano dyan ‘yong mga supporters nila na naglalagay [ay] walang proper briefing, walang proper orientation, so akala nila kahit saan puwedeng ilagay. Dapat pumunta sila sa tanggapan ng COMELEC para alam nila kung saan ilalagay,” he said.

According to Bermejo, the prescribed maximum size for all posters and tarpaulins, regardless of the orientation is 2×3, while pamphlets must be 8.5×14.

On the other hand, the designated locations are public places, barangay centers, new city market and in Mendoza Park and City Baywalk to be specific.

“Iyong common poster areas as previously agreed, magtatayo sila ng kanilang sariling structure tapos doon nila ikakabit ‘yon. Bawal sa puno, poste, pader ng mga existing public buildings bawal ‘yon,” said Bermejo.

Share your vote!


How do you feel about this post?
  • Happy
  • Sad
  • Angry