City Council backs Duterte’s deadline for PALECO

(File photo)


The Puerto Princesa City Council approved two resolutions Monday that back President Rodrigo Duterte’s warning to sequester the Palawan Electric Cooperative (PALECO) and express appreciation to him in helping fix the province’s current power dilemma.

Vice Mayor Luis Marcaida III told Palawan News the first resolution strongly supports Duterte’s end of the year deadline for PALECO to resolve the frequent blackouts in Puerto Princesa City and municipalities in the province.

“Yes, approved na ‘yon kanina, dalawa ‘yon. Isa ‘yong strongly supporting the statement of the president at ‘yong isa ay expressing appreciation to the president for addressing the city’s electric [problem]… dalawang resolutions,” said Marcaida.

Earlier the City Council called PALECO to appear in its Monday regular session to explain the actions it will take following Duterte’s warning. However, none was able to attend.

Napoleon Cortes Jr., the acting general manager of the power coop, explained he failed to appear before the City Council because of the Department of Energy’ (DOE) and the National Power Corporation’ (Napocor) invitation for him to attend an urgent meeting.

“Narito kami ngayon sa DOE, pinatawag kami… hindi nga po kami available kasi may biglang patawag. Ang nagpatawag sa amin ay DOE at saka NAPOCOR bukas,” said Cortes in a separate interview also Monday.

He said they will attend the question hour of the City Council on November 26. But even before that, his office had already sent a response letter to the body detailing important matters on what they will do to find a solution before the president’s deadline.

“Gusto rin nating maipaliwanag sa ating City Council siyempre at dito nga sa DOE ‘yong stand din natin. Kasi mukhang hindi po napakinggan ‘yong stand natin,” Cortes pointed out.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © Copyright 2018 - Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion. All rights reserved.

You may also like...