A patient from Puerto Princesa City, categorized as a suspect case under the Department of Health’s (DOH) COVID-19 monitoring system, died Tuesday. He was the 6th reported virus-related death in the province since the onset of the pandemic.
City information officer Richard Ligad, in a public announcement on Facebook Wednesday, said that the deceased patient under the suspect category was a senior citizen from an outskirt village of Puerto Princesa.
“Isang suspect case natin ang pumanaw kahapon (around 6:30 p.m.). Siya ay isang senior citizen at na-swab naman siya, although hindi pa rin dumarating ang result,” he said.
The patient was first reported last week to the City Health Office (CHO) by the Barangay Health Emergency Response Team (BHERT) due to recurring fever and cough. He was also known to have other comorbidities.
“Nag-desisyon ang incident commander na si Dr. Dean Palanca na siya ay agad na i-admit sa Ospital Ng Palawan (ONP). Doon ay na-check at nakita na meron siyang ibang karamdaman. Although ‘yong ibang sintomas ay nagtutugma sa COVID-19, qualified siya sa suspect case,” he added.
The remains of the suspected COVID-19 patient was immediately cremated through a consent acquired from the family, who were also placed under COVID-watch as being direct contact pending result of the deceased case.
The island province has now recorded a total of six deceased “suspect” COVID patients, including the 36-year-old male from Aborlan town and the 63-year-old female tourist from Manila who died in Culion, which both later tested negative; and the 61-year-old male local resident of Puerto Princesa City whose family refused testing.
The confirmatory tests for the 64-year-old female from El Nido who died Wednesday last week (April 15), the pregnant woman also from El Nido who died (April 19), and the recent death of a male senior citizen from Puerto Princesa (April 21), are still awaiting results.