Twenty four hours after a fire hit a department store warehouse in New Buncag, Barangay Mandaragat, firefighters on Monday said they have not yet been able to enter the burned out structure because of thick smoke and fumes.
SFO1 Marnel Galintez told Palawan News, however, the fire is already “contained” within the building and that there is no risk of it spreading into the surrounding houses in the area.
“Wala na itong tendency na kumalat. Hindi pa lang talaga basta-basta mapasok dahil sa usok at amoy,” Galintez said.
Galintez, who oversaw the firefighting operation that began late Sunday said they will continue to monitor the situation until the fire is placed under full control.
“Ongoing ang ginagawa doon, hindi pa mapabayaan hanggang hindi pa napapasok doon,” he said.
He said that the two-storey building belonging to Abot Kaya Commercial was a storage of various merchandise including toys, apparel, butane gas of portable stove, soaps, and grocery items.
One truckload of merchandise was recovered from the scene by company workers before the building completely went in flames.
Leonard Santiago, chief tanod of Barangay Mandaragat told Palawan News that as early as 11 a.m. the presence of smoke from the area was already reported to them.
“Alas onse pa lang ng umaga ay may nag-report nang may umuusok, at akala siguro ay ordinaryong usok lang,” he said.