Foreigners save the day for airport’s near fire accident

Miraflores says the incident was caused by overloading and substandard extension cord.


Quick thinking on the part of two foreigners averted a potential fire at the Puerto Princesa City International Airport (PPCIA) Thursday when an overloaded electrical outlet inside a restaurant exploded.

A fire investigator told Palawan News two traveling foreigners were the first to respond to the incident as they were nearby and managed to grab a fire extinguisher and put down the ensuing fire.

Fire Officer 1 Rafael Genesis D. Miraflores told Palawan News the two foreigners, whom authorities have not identified, were the first to respond to the emergency.

Engr. Percy Malonesio, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) manager for PPCIA, said that while airport personnel were immediately alerted by the explosion and had trained to handle such situations, the two foreigners whom he did not identify were immediately on hand to quell the fire.

“Sa foreigners naman na nakatulong, malaking bagay din, salamat din at kumbaga pro-active sila. Pagkakita ng usok pa lang nabomba niya agad [ng fire extinguisher], para di na nagtagal,” Malonesio said.

Miraflores said the incident was caused by overloading and substandard extension cord.

“Iyong outlet nila may nakasaksak na tatlong extension cord na may magkakaiba-iba ring designated na appliances tulad ng rice cooker. Then at the same time sa isang extension cord, naglagay pa sila ng isa pang extension cord. So ang nangyari ay overloading ng appliances at the same time ‘yong kanilang extension cord ay substandard,” Miraflores told Palawan News.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © Copyright 2018 - Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion. All rights reserved.

You may also like...