The City Fire Department is denying claims made by some residents affected by last Sunday’s fire in Barangay Bagong Silang that the city’s firefighters arrived late, causing the fire to spread rapidly.
“Nagsimula ‘yung sunog ay mga 9:00 AM at nakatanggap kami ng tawag ay 9:20 AM na. Gusto namin i-emphasize na natural lang na ma-late kami kasi hindi kami pwedeng mauna sa sunog. Reresponde kami depende sa tawag,” Senior Fire Inspector Caabay, said.
Caabay was reacting to random complaints by residents about the response time of the firefighters and the claims that the firetrucks ran out of water during the blaze, that some have posted on social media.
Some 200 families had been displaced by the fire which hit the congested coastal area of the city on Sunday morning.
He also said that the complaints raised about the firetrucks running out of water was misinformed.
“Iyong ating firetruck po ay hindi unlimited ang tubig. ‘Unli’ lang ang aming tubig kung sa dagat kami kukuha,” he added.
Caabay explained that they had difficulty getting their firetrucks into place because of the narrow roads in the area and the mass of residents who were blocking their way.
“Papasok kami papuntang area ang sikip ng daan, tapos ang daming tao at sasakyan na sumasalubong sa firetruck natin, ang hirap nun,” said Caabay.
He said that the operation was still considered a “success” as they were able to contain the fire in time before it could spread to other houses.
“Kung ang sunog nakarating hanggang sa kabilang kalsada ay baka mas worst ang nangyari. Yung fact pa lang na naagapan natin yung sunog na umabot sa kabilang kalsada, panalo na tayo doon,” said Caabay.
Use of materials from this Website, including any commercial use, reproduction, distribution, re-publication, broadcast, and display or performed, without prior permission of Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion is strictly prohibited.