Known as the Philippines’ last ecological frontier, the province of Palawan is a natural wonder with its vast tracts of tropical rainforests and huge expanses of marine wilderness. Renowned underwater explorer Jacques Costeau has described Palawan as having one of the most beautiful seascapes in the world. Sprawled beneath its seas are nearly 11,000 square kilometers of coral reefs; while myriads of fish swim in these underwater gardens.
Palawan probably has more protected areas than any other province: the Calauit Game Reserve and Wildlife Sanctuary with its exotic and endemic species of animals roaming freely; the El Nido–Taytay Managed Resource Protected Area with its edible bird’s nests and limestone cliffs; and the Tubbataha Reefs, a pair of coral atolls that were named a World Heritage Site in 1993.
And then, of course, there is the Puerto Princesa River National Park, another World Heritage Site that has one of the longest underground rivers in the world with its old growth forests, cathedral caves, limestone cliffs, and unique flora and fauna.
In the heart of Palawan lies the City of Puerto Princesa, a bustling urban center only hours from lush rainforests and white sand beaches. It is said that every island is an adventure in Palawan, and now in the same spirit of adventure, residents and tourists alike will find more to discover right in the middle of the city when SM City Puerto Princesa opens its doors to the public on September 15, 2017.
Envisioned as Palawan’s premier mall, SM City Puerto Princesa is a resort style complex that reflects the province’s tropical feel while integrating SM’s innovative design approach. SM Prime Holding’s 64th mall will serve shoppers in Puerto Princesa and Palawan, as well as residents of the nearby provinces of Mindoro, Marinduque, and Romblon in the MIMAROPA region.
Strategically located on a 47-square meter site along Malvar corner Lacao Streets in Puerto Princesa, the three-level 54,000 square meter mall will create a unique identity along the island’s most popular thoroughfare. From the new SM it is but a short walk to the well-known Baywalk Park and nearby pier. Striking glass walls at the main entrances and a dramatic linear overhang stretching along Malvar Street create an impressive and inviting initial appearance from whatever direction one approaches.
But what makes SM City Puerto Princesa an exciting new lifestyle destination?
- It is a Resort Style Complex in an Urban Paradise. Lush landscaping and reflecting pools integrate the mall into its setting while providing sheltered walkways for pedestrians along the street.
The mall’s interiors are distinctly crisp and modern with textures and relaxing colors that give one the sense of being on a tropical holiday. At each opening to the floor above, walls clad in a unique plaster give the texture of continuous and soft waves. An elaborate ceiling displaying hundreds of delicate handcrafted wooden lanterns not only provides light, but adds to the Palawan feel.
- Great Shopping + Leisure + Entertainment. With The SM Store and SM Supermarket as its major anchors SM City Puerto Princesa brings to Palawan a mix of SM mainstays like SM Appliance Center, ACE Hardware, Watsons, Surplus, Miniso, and Sports Central; as well as national and global brands in its 180 food and retail shops.
Eating out options include specialty restaurants, and international and local food chains. Dining in the mall is experiential, not only because of the exciting food choices, but also because its two levels of restaurants give diners amazing views of Puerto Princesa Bay and Thumb Peak.
The mall will also bring great entertainment to Palawan with its three state of the art cinemas and two Director’s Club theaters.
- First in Palawan Brands. SM City Puerto Princesa adds a lot of lifestyle excitement when it gives residents a wide array of dining choices with the opening of the first Mesa restaurant, Kuya J, Cabalen, RibShack, Turk’s Shawarma, BreadTalk, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Techies will love Palawan’s first Powermac and Rulls stores in the mall’s Cyberzone, while DermCare, Belle La Peau, and Dent XP give new concepts in looking good and feeling great in the wellness area. Global apparel brands will further increase Palaweños’ excitement with Hush Puppies, Macbeth, Memo, Regatta, and Toby’s.
- Homegrown Brands. Shoppers in SM City Puerto Princesa will also enjoy the best of Palawan brands like McCoys Brickoven Pizza, Isla Casoy De Palawan, Vogere by Bong Villanueva, Divine Sweets, Puerto Electronico, Banh Pho Chao Long, Heavenly Desserts, and more.
- A Travelers’ Lounge. With Puerto Princesa City and Palawan as tourist havens, the mall complements the tourism-related offerings available by providing an alternative relaxation hub for visitors where they can rest, bathe, book flights, and seek assistance on other concerns.
- A Commitment to Sustainability. The mall is designed to achieve a sustainable future. Natural lighting, 6” CHB walls with an Exterior Insulating System, and Solar Panels make it a cost-efficient and energy saving building in line with SM Prime Holdings’ commitment to disaster mitigation measures and carbon footprint reduction.
A Sewage Treatment Plant treats restaurant and toilet wastes with a Treated Water Recycling Tank System to handle toilet flushing, plants irrigation, cleaning/maintenance and other non-potable purposes that help in the conservation of freshwater. Recycled Water will also be used for the Air-conditioning System’s chilled water and cooling towers to reduce fresh water consumption. Paver Blocks will be strategically used in the parking areas to allow rainwater penetration into the grounds to replenish the underground water table.
Solid wastes will be managed in accordance with local and national standards of segregation, recycling, reusing, and sending to the sanitary landfill. This management is elevated to a more inclusive advocacy in SM’s Trash to Cash initiative.
For customer convenience, SM City Puerto Princesa will have a two-level parking area with 398 car slots, as well as a tricycle and jeepney terminal.
SM City Puerto Princesa’s project team includes Robert Meckfessel – DSGN Associates, Design Architect; Jose Siao Ling & Associates, Architect of Record; D. A. Abcede, Project Manager; KHMAYA Builders, General Contractor.
The SM adventure starts September 15!