The Department of Public Works and Highways has banned the construction company undertaking the cementing of the national highway in downtown San Miguel, citing the firm’s failure to compete the project on time and the poor quality of construction.
DPWH 3rd district engineer Arthur Torillo said on Friday the construction firm Arky Construction will no longer be allowed to bid in future government projects, following the numerous complaints received by the DPWH about the project.
He said that the company had asked several times to set back its deadline and was supposed to have completed the work last month to no avail.
“Nag-one year na ‘yung construction noong May. Ang latest revised expiry nila is August 22, 2017. Hindi na sila makakasali sa mga projects dito sa atin,” Torillo said.
He said the company’s owner recently assured them they will exhaust all their resources just to finish the slow construction.
“Ang Arky Construction ay nagbigay na ng assurance ang may-ari na mag full-blast na sila, nakausap ko the other day, sabi ko mahiya naman kayo sa mga taga-Puerto,” Torillo added.
The project began on March 30, 2016 and was slated to finish on or before December 25, 2016. DPWH had approved the repeated requests for extension sought by the contractor.
Certain extensions were sought by the firm saying that they lacked labor force, and that the weather was partly causing the delay.
Among the complaints raised by concerned motorists was the unfinished concreting of the portions of highway which was left untouched by the contractor.
“’Yung kalsada sa may harap ng McCoys, bakit may pingas doon? Sa tuwing dadaan ang sasakyan nakaka-lundag ng mga 1/4 or di kaya iiwas dun sa kabilang lane. Anong meron?” a concerned motorist said.
Torillo added that Arky Construction is also liable to pay for penalties imposed by violations of the program of work (POW) they submitted and the number of extensions they have requested from the DPWH.