Commando head detained at Provincial Jail

Sonny Anicete arrives in Puerto Princesa and is now awaiting trial (file Photo)


Captured murder suspect and Commando group leader Sonny Anicete arrived in Puerto Princesa City on Sunday from Tarlac following his capture Saturday and was ordered to be detained at the Palawan provincial jail to await his trial.

Judge Angelo Arizala of the Regional Trial Court Branch 49 issued a commitment order for Anicete’s detention at the provincial jail facility upon the suspect’s arrival Sunday morning from Tarlac following his arrest Saturday morning by elements of the PRO 3 Regional Public Safety Batallion of the Tarlac police in Barangay Poblacion 1, Pura, Tarlac.

Anicete is one of the primary suspects in the reported killing of two Japanese nationals, Itanu Masaru, 59, and Arai Yoshihiru, 24.

According to one of the previously arrested suspects, the two victims were shot dead in Galoc Island in Culion and their dismembered bodies were thrown at the sea. The bodies of the victims, or evidence of the carnage, however, have yet to be located by investigators.

Anicete, who is also the leader of the Palawan-based “Commando Brotherhood,” has been on the run since June this year, after he was implicated in the case by the other suspects.

Hiroyuki Nagahama, 55, the alleged mastermind, and co-conspirators Reynante Labampa, Jovis Viscarra and one other suspect had previously been formally charged with the murder.

Lawyer Tedoro Jose Matta of the Palawan Legal Office said  Anicete arrived early Sunday morning and was escorted by police operatives from Tarlac.

Matta also said that Palawan governor Jose Chaves Alvarez will present the primary suspect to the media tentatively on January 4, 2018.

You may also like...

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.