After receiving flak from other city officials for allowing the operation of an unlicensed cockpit, city government executive assistant Genaro Manaay was stripped of power to issue a special mayor’s permit to hold a cockfighting activity.
Atty. Arnel Pedrosa, the city legal officer and acting administrator, said the decision was reached last week in order to resolve the matter raised by the City Council last week.
“We need first to clear things up whether he will continue issuing permits or we give the authority to other city government official,” Pedrosa said Monday.
Manaay started giving such permit in July 2017 on the authority of the city mayor, in addition to his role as program manager of the Person with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO).
Last week, Councilor Peter Maristela took Maanay to task for issuing a permit to for the cockpit in Barangay San Jose.
Pedrosa, however, cleared Maanay of any legal violation, pointing out that he had been given an authority to issue a special permit while awaiting the cockpit’s franchise.
“I found no violation on the part of Mr. Manaay. He performed his duty of issuing permits to hold cockfighting in Puerto Princesa within the bounds of the law,” Pedrosa said.
Pedrosa explained that the special permit is only concerned with holding a cockfight activity, not on where it will be conducted by the requesting group.
“We did not authorize them to hold the cockfighting there. It’s either the barangay or the organization who choose its venue,” he said, adding that it should be far from the residential area, schools and church.
Manaay, meanwhile, welcomed the decision, saying its favorable to him as he can focus more on his job as the PDAO program manager.
“It’s okay with me. In fact, it’s favorable on my part as it reduced my workload. What’s important is I know I’m right and the legal office is on my side,” he told Palawan News in a text message.