The City government has announced it is finally set to file a case for “negligence” against the Palawan Electric Cooperative (PALECO) and its private power suppliers over the frequent brownouts being experienced in the city.
City administrator Arnel Pedrosa said they will be completing the preparation of the complaint this week and will file it before the prosecutor’s office on Monday September, 18.
“We file a case against Paleco, their board of directors and power providers nila, we are finalizing it this week,” said Pedrosa.
The civil case, Pedrosa explained, seeks to compel the cooperative and their suppliers to pay for damages which he said had been caused by negligence of their officials.
“Magbabayad sila para sa awards and damages na i-issue ng ating court, o ‘yung ini-issue ng court dahil sa kapabayaan sa trabaho,” said Pedrosa.
Pedrosa said that the consecutive brownouts within the city triggered their decision to sue the cooperative.
“Iyong sunod sunod na brownout is very annoying, nakakaistorbo na. Madalas, mas marami pa ‘yung unannounced kaysa sa announced na brownout. Biruhin mo hindi malaman kung anong oras ang brownout,” he said.
Pedrosa brushed aside the explanation previously made by Paleco officials on the causes of the brownouts, saying the cooperative is supposedly tasked to provide adequate services to their paying subscribers.
“Hindi natin problema ‘yung mga issues nila. They are supposed to, and presumed to, have the capacity to give quality service and electricity supply to the people of Puerto Princesa,” he said.
Pedrosa said that lawsuit will be directed primarily against Paleco officials or those responsible in the management of the cooperative.
“Tayo yung cooperative pero ang liability, ang tatamaan dyan ay ang Paleco and ‘yung nagcocompose nito, ito ay ‘yung mga nasa management ng Paleco,” said Pedrosa.
The Palawan News Team tried to get the side of Paleco but Paleco Board Chair Jeffrey Tan Endriga said they will withhold making any statement until they receive the actual complaint.