The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) formally ended on Monday, February 1, the ban on commercial catching of round scads popularly known as “galunggong” in Northern Palawan.
BFAR Undersecretary Asis Perez led the ceremony that signals the restart of catching of “poor man’s fish”, which has been banned for three months.
In a briefing with the media, Dir. Perez happily announced the compliance and cooperation of local commercial operators and concerned authorities on the ban which was implemented during the last quarter of 2015 up to January of this year.
“We are hoping that this will improve the production of “galunggong” in Palawan,” Dir. Perez added.
He added that about 75% of galunggong shipped to Manila was actually caught in Northern Palawan.
“So Northern Palawan is very important to the protein intake ng mga taga Metro Manila, and for that reason, the private sector and the government partnered together para magkaroon ng conservation management measure for Palawan,” he said.
It is noted that for three months since November last year, the need to ban commercial catching of galunggong arose due to 40 % fall off and to give way for its robust production. The ban’s intent was to recover to its normal capacity of producing 75% of round scads in the Metro Manila and Luzon market.
BFAR has already implemented same kind of banning of galunggong in Visayas and Mindanao area and after some period of time, it resulted to increase in galunggong production. Same case here in Palawan, Perez said that it is expected that production of round scads will be increased and eventually will bring down the price of this poor man’s fish in the market.
Use of materials from this Website, including any commercial use, reproduction, distribution, re-publication, broadcast, and display or performed, without prior permission of Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion is strictly prohibited.