The Provincial Board of Palawan has approved Tuesday, December 1, the annual provincial budget amounting to P2, 099,393,945.00.
Board Member Leoncio Ola, chair of the Committee on Appropriation has announced that the 2016 budget has been lowered by P56, 963, 268.00 compared to the 2015 budget amounting to 2,156,357,213.00.
The budget reduction is due to the savings that the province might incur as it will no longer spend for heavy equipment rental now that the local government units have their own equipment to utilize for various infrastructure projects, Ola said.
He added that the provincial government will have a reduced expenditure on the scholarship program due to K to 12 program implementation. This means that scholarship grant for incoming freshmen will be temporarily halted for one year.
The major components and the corresponding budget of the 2016 Annual Budget of the Provincial Government of Palawan are the following:
A. I-HELP Priority Programs and Project
- Counterpart Funds to PRDP FMR/ Kalsada Projects P45,000,000.00
- Brgy. Facilities Improvement Program/Barangay Renewal/Restoration Program P100,000,000.00
B. Health and Social Services
- Greater Access to Medicine on Time & Other Health Services P53,000,000.00
- PHILHEALTH Premiums P20,000,000.00
- Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Council P10,000,000.00
- Public Welfare Program P12,000,000.00
- Kalinga sa Palaweño P12,000,000.00
- Community Assistance Program P27,000,000.00
- Palawan Rescue 165 P30,000,000.00
- Bahay Pag-Asa Operation Program P3,000,000.00
- Tuition Assistance for Students P133,150,000.00
D. Livelihood and Economic
- Seaweeds Industry Development Program P10,000,000.00
- Bantay-Turista Program P4,000,000.00
- Skills Training and Employment Program P2,000,000.00
- Bantay Palawan Program P7,300,000.00
- Calauit Safari Park Maintenance Program P5,000,000.00
- Reforestation Program P20,000,000.00
F. Other Program/Activities/Projects
- Aid to People with Disabilities P560,000.00