1 dead in Tahong poisoning, several hospitalized


One person died while 14 others were hospitalized on Thursday due to suspected food poisoning after eating mussels (tahong) in Sitio Maubog, Barangay Alacalian, Taytay.

Taytay mayor Romy Salvame said among the victims were a 27-year old resident of Dumaran who died after eating the mussels, while an entire family had been hospitalized and are at present in stable condition at the Northern Palawan Provincial Hospital.

Salvame said they have yet to learn how the food poisoning happened, and added that the victims had reported feeling dizzy after eating the mussels. Tahong is commonly cultured around the Malampaya Sound in Taytay and sold mainly in Puerto Princesa City’s markets.

Salvame said he had issued an immediate order to stop the gathering and selling of Tahong until they figured out how the poisoning happened. He also ordered the municipal offices to study if the poisoning as related to “red tide.”

Pero habang wala pang scientific study, ipinatigil na natin pagbebenta ng tahong at iba pang lamang dagat na manggagaling sa Malampaya sound, pero yung galing sa eastern barangays, okay naman,” Salvame said.

Use of materials from this Website, including any commercial use, reproduction, distribution, re-publication, broadcast, and display or performed, without prior permission of Qubes Publication and Ads Promotion is strictly prohibited.

You may also like...